The choice between marble and granite depends on the aesthetic affects you want to achieve and how much use or abuse the stone will be subjected to. Although both are natural stones and quarried from the earth, granite and marble are very different from each other. The greatest difference between granite and marbles lies in their porosity, softness, and durability. Marble’s beauty will last for generations and is versatile enough for use throughout the home. Softer and more porous than granite, marble is more suitable for less-trafficked, formal areas. Granite is a much more durable and functional stone than marble. Granite’s crystalline structure is far more resistant to abrasions, staining and discoloration than most marbles.
Knowing the Truth!
- Etching: This occurs when liquids such as alcohol or vinegar hit the surface, calcite crystals in the stone react to this and can start erosion immediately.
- Porous Stone: With the product being porous, it can soak up liquids. Therefore, sealer is essential to clog up these pores and counter the effect the problem.
- Sealing: Though sealers can help clog up the countertops, it is nearly impossible to clog up every pore, regardless of the high quality of sealer.
- Easy to remove stains: With a polished finished, marble is difficult to stain, due to its vast density.
- Below the surface: When sealer is applied it actually lays a protective film just beneath the surface, preventing deep stains, though, leaving the top layer vulnerable.
Marble and Granite Maintenance
Granite and marble will stain quickly and easily, even if the liquid is just water. You can avoid stains by cleaning up any spills immediately. When you do have to clean a spill, be sure to use a blotting motion with your cleaning cloth and not a rubbing or wiping one, just like you would if you were cleaning your carpet or clothing. Rubbing the spot can actually make the stain far worse and spread the substance.
CHOOSE ROCK TOPS FABRICATION FOR THE ULTIMATE IN CUSTOM FABRICATION
Here at Rock Tops Fabrication we use the latest technology to make sure your surface is designed, cut and finished how you envision it. Your home and your design is important to us which is why we’ve strived for thirteen years to give you the most exceptional customer service available. Our portfolio is filled with success stories throughout the Maryland and D.C area. Are you interested in quality, customized, and beautiful fabrication? Contact us today online or by phone at 410-363-4267! If you’re interested in more information about custom fabrication, check out our Twitter and Facebook for business updates.